Saturday, February 27, 2010

Head Examined? Check.

I went for my first MRI yesterday, not that it's an acomplishment to be proud of, well maybe for some it is.  What a wierd experience.  I thought about cancelling my appointment again, for the second time... 
You see, I started this MRI journey back in October because I was extremely dizzy.  I thought being full of The Dizzy was due to a new pair of glasses, sleep deprivation from being back to work and having a 2 month old baby.  At the end of October I thought I better get checked out so I saw my GP in early November for The Dizzy.  At that same time, I ended up having a sinus infection, so he attributed The Dizzy to The Infection.  I knew, however, that The Dizzy was from something more.  So after antibiotics and a few weeks, The Dizzy was not gone. I went back to my GP nearing the end of November. Again, I had a lot of post nasal stuff going on which he also attributed The Dizzy to.  More antibiotics and a Drug to treat The Dizzy.  Another run on antibiotics and still Dizzy.  By now it's nearing Christmas, some days I'm so dizzy and lightheaded I feel like I have to catch myself if I move too fast.  So After taking The Dizzy Drug with no relief I see my GP one more time, this time for Strepp Throat and The Dizzy.  He says "Oh, I guess it's not Vertigo, that usually goes away in about 6 weeks".  I mention seeing an ENT, he sort of talks around the topic and tells me to wait it out.  At the end of January, I call him for a referral to an ENT.  This is OUT OF HAND.  So, I go to see the lovely Dr. Lister.  And by lovely, I mean dorky young doctor.  He sort of reminds me of Steve from Blues Clues.  He is, however, super nice.  After doing some tests on me, making me sit, stand, lean, with eyes closed and open, he ruled out Vertigo.  I also had to have a hearing test, which I passed with flying colors. (Don't tell my hubby ;) )  So now, to rule out any benign tumors, I had to have an MRI.  He also thinks it could be some sort of Migraine.  I originally had the MRI scheduled the same day as Sydney's 6 months appointment, and since she was sort of freaking out from 4 shots that day, I decided to reschedule. Mostly because I would have to pump and dump for 24 hours, but in my book, taking care of my baby is as good an excuse as any.  After contemplating rescheduling the appointment again, I realized I need to go see what the hell is going on with The Dizzy for Sydney.  It's amazing how much I do these days is for/because of her.  So, yesterday I finally went for my appointment.  It was annoying.  Half an hour in a small space is not my idea of fun.  I got to the appointment and they were running 20 minutes late.  Finally I got to the room.  Never even looked at the machine, laid down closed my eyes and never opened them until the end.  I really did ok until they pulled the table out in order to put the contrast into my blood stream and put me back in.  Then I.STARTED.TO.FREAK.OUT.  In order not to push the Emergency Button, I counted to 10, then backwards from 99 (Don't ask), thought about Sydney, Abby and Frank, then all the bad thoughts came rushing in.  What would happen to Frank if something is really wrong with me and I died?  What would happen to our girls, Abby and Sydney? What if it's a tumor, or cancer, or brain cancer or something worse (not sure what's worse than brain cancer)?  Then they came in and pulled me out.  It was done. I was out and free to go home.  Thank God, because at the point I thought brain cancer, I was ready to press the Emergency Button.  Now the waiting game.... 2-3 days until we know the results.  I think waiting is even more annoying than the test.

No comments: